Technical Failure in Archer Leaves Thousands in the Dark
Internet email and cell service were lost starting around the Wednesday lunch hour for thousands of customers using different service providers.
The problem has since been solved, and Gainesville Regional Utilities technicians are currently at the seed of the the problem in Archer monitoring the system.
According to GRU, a third party that runs a fiber hub in Archer is responsible for the communication failure.
This so far unnamed third party, brings fiber signals to Gainesville, and throughout other parts of Florida.
42 Verizon towers were down, affecting thousands of customers' reception and leaving them with unanswered questions.
The Gainesville Police Department was without internet for several hours and Verizon issued cell phones for GPD supervisors were also affected.
But the Combined Communications Center that services GPD and ASO remained operational throughout the day.
Service providers were aware of the problem, but many of them are still in the dark about what may have caused the malfunction.
GRUCOM, GRU's telecom division was also affected by the outage, their business fiber optic services as well their high speed internet or "Gator Net," were also down for most of the day.
- Archer Residents Voice their Concerns on the Archer Braid Trail
- Micanopy's Small Town Charm Attracts Thousands this Weekend
- Suwannee County Residents Call on Power of Prayer for Jane Doe
- GRU Customers Look for Answers and Relief at City Commission Meeting
- Alachua County Commission Votes to Keep Archer Braid Trail Out of Haile Plantation
- October Jobs Report Leave Construction Workers Wanting More
- Rick Drummond Prepares Leave County Manager Seat as Betty Baker Steps in
- Drive-By Shooting in Belleview Leaves 1 Man Dead and 1 Injured
- Cluster of Sinkholes in Suwannee County Leaves Man at the Mercy of FEMA
- Power Outage In High Springs Affects Nearly 4,000 Residents