Battling Cancer One Tour at a Time
Published July 13th, 2012
The Le Tour de GHF is fully underway at Gainesville Health and Fitness. The tour is in conjunction with the Tour de France and lasts twenty three days and puts it's participants to the ultimate test; some even more than others.
Susan Wright has been cycling for over five years. With her strong willed attitude and mind to persevere, she has just completed the Le Tour de GHF at Gainesville Health and Fitness.
Observing Susan, you may never know she's been battling Ovarian cancer for the last six years.
"Without this, I don't think my body would have been strong enough to battle this long," Susan says.
The constant rush of cardio training has kept Susan's life going for nearly the whole battle.
She attends Gainesville Health and Fitnesses' cycling class on a more than weekly basis, already completing eleven classes in twelve days.
Susan has also had two heart attacks since being diagnosed, but coming to cycling has made her heart so strong, she says she has deflected them, and is feeling much better.
Susan continues to fight, despite the fact that she has been off of chemo treatments for five months and is actually classified a hospice patient.
"I had made a decision early on, that every day God gave me, any strength he gave me, I wasn't going to live in cancer..it was going to be something I'd add to my life but wasn't going to be my life," Susan said.
She's keeping that promise to herself, her family and her supporters..as she continues to fight Ovarian cancer one cycling tour at a time.
Susan was recently told by doctors that she may only have weeks left to live, but despite that news she has kept pushing through, to finish the cycling tour. On July 22, the Le Tour de GHF will end, and celebrate the members who completed it with a ceremony and a T-shirt; Susan plans to decorate her shirt and wear it proudly, when she receives it.
- Tour of the University of Florida Cancer Hospital
- Boys Battling Cancer Given VIP Treatment at Gatornationals
- Fundraiser to be held for girl battling cancer
- Former Bradford County Coach Serving Time in One- Punch Death
- One Class at a Time: Meet May Winner Antonia Brewster
- One Class at a Time: Meet December 13' Winner Judith Weaver
- One Class at a Time: Meet November Winner Dena Robinson
- One Class at a Time: Meet October Winner Joseph Dickens
- One Class at a Time: Meet September 13' Winner Jane Walsh
- Helping One Organization At A Time