College of Central Florida Allegedly Denies Admission to Students from Ocala School
A simple clerical error may be costing students at one Ocala high school the shot at a higher education.
The College of Central Florida has not verified the school's accreditation even though the school has been accredited for five years.
Representatives of the academy say that their diploma is worth just as anyone else's.
"They're saying that Kingdom Christian University isn't an accredited school."says Jennifer Hope, an Academy grad who was excited to have been accepted by the College of Central Florida.
But after an accreditation misunderstanding her admission was put on hold.
Hope graduated from Kingdom Christian Academy in June 2011 as the school's valedoctarian, a few months before accreditation standards changed.
Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dr. Mark Paugh says, "It's commonly referred to as the integrity rules and the federal government is tightening up on regulations specific to Title 4 funds, federal financial aid for qualified students."
A change made to help ensure that financial aid money goes to qualified students coming from reputable schools.
Administrators at the college say the issue could be a filing error on their part.
Paugh says, "It's very possible that the school was on our approved list under another name changed in the last several years but never got updated. Our staff changes so it could've been something as simple as it not being recognized."
According to the school's website, the Kingdom Christian Academy is accredited by four different state and local organizations.
Representatives from the college expect to have completed their research by early next week.
- Search for Missing Student Reaches High and Low with Help from Joint Aviation Unit
- Ocala Man Denies Killing His Girlfriend
- Florida Board of Education Passes 6 Year Achievement Plan
- College Students Trying to Keep Up with Rising Textbook Prices
- North Central Florida Residents Monitor Rising Water Levels Along the Santa Fe
- North Central Florida Honors Fallen Soldier
- Gun Control Debate Continues in North Central Florida
- Teacher arrested for sex with student
- Sports Overtime: High School Football Roundup
- Sports Overtime: High School Football Roundup- Week Three