Columbia County Detention Facility Officer Arrested
Lake City - A Columbia County Sheriff's Detention Officer is in a lot of trouble, accused of playing a role in an attack on an inmate. Michael Hegenauer, is accused of aiding and encouraging battery on an inmate. He's been arrested and suspended from his job after allegations were made against him three weeks ago. Sheriff Mark Hunter asked for an internal investigation as well as the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to conduct a criminal investigation. Hunter hopes residents don't see the entire sheriff's office in a negative light.
"We certainly want to make sure the allegations if sustained that there is a fair process here, and that the public sees this is an individual," Columbia County Sheriff Mark Hunter said.
Hegenauer has been employed with the Columbia County Sheriff's office since March of last year. He's being held on a 10 thousand dollar bond.
- Teens Injured after Riot at Juvenile Detention Facility
- UPDATE: Both Officers Tried to Get out of Columbia County House Fire
- Columbia County Woman Arrested for $160,000 In Medicaid Fraud
- Violent Criminal Organization In Columbia County Arrested
- Undercover Investigation Arrests Two in Columbia County
- Columbia County man arrested in connection to funeral home burglary
- Three Arrested In Columbia County Meth Lab Bust
- Columbia County Deputies Arrest Naked Burglar
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Bradford County Corrections Officer Arrested for Attempted Murder