Details in Deputy Involved Shooting
Authorities in Marion County are trying to find witnesses after a deputy shot and killed a 21- year-old man who was unarmed.
"It was just like the fourth of July, I mean pop, pop, pop, pop.," one neighbor told us.
Right across the street from his home, two deputies and Joshua Salvato were in a deadly struggle.
"It sounded like firecrackers," the neighbor said.
According to reports, a neighbor called 911 about a man yelling in the middle of the street at cars driving by.
When deputies got there, reports say, Salvato attacked them, prompting 22-year-old Deputy, Lauren Miley, who's been with the Sheriff's Office for three years to shoot.
The other Deputy, 44-year-old Norman Brown, an officer for the past two and half years.
"Any time you use deadly force it's either to protect other life or protect your own life," Yolanda Carbia, Spokesperson for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said.
"So obviously, you can make the determination that either they felt their lives were threatened, or the life of somebody else."
Carbia says Salvato was tasored, but would not describe how the deputies were attacked.
She did state that only one shot was fired.
The 911 call and dash cam video, which captured the entire fight, is not yet being released.
"We're still conducting interviews, following up the 911 calls, interviewing those folks," Carbia said.
She clarified that even if a suspect is unarmed, an officer may still use deadly force.
She used the example of an officer being choked and passing out, leaving the suspect with their gun.
- Columbia County Shooting Involving Deputy
- Deputy Involved in Fatal Shooting
- Ocala Man Arrested After Shooting at Deputies
- A Teen Shoots A Volusia County Sheriff's Deputy
- Columbia County Deputy Forced to Shoot Attacking Dog
- State Leaders Comment On Dixie County Deputy Shooting
- Marion County Deputy Arrested for Soliciting Prostitution
- Marion County Deputy Resigns, Charged with Battery on Pregnant Wife
- Man Shot By Marion County Deputy
- Marion County Deputy Arrested