Gainesville Woman Dies in Scooter Crash
GAINESVILLE - A scooter crash in northwest Gainesville took the life of a woman Thursday evening.
The accident involved a scooter and another vehicle colliding at the intersection of NW 23rd Avenue and 63rd Terrace around 5pm.
East and west bound lanes were closed for two and a half hours while Florida Highway Patrol investigators tried to determine the cause.
According to the FHP report, 38-year-old Gainesville resident Shannon Eaton was traveling northbound on her 2009 Meit Scooter on 63rd Terrace.
She was approaching the intersection of NW 23rd Avenue. A 1990 Toyota Cressida driven by Toni McCollum, 20, was traveling west on NW 23rd Avenue.
Officials say preliminary evidence indicates Eaton was trying to make a right turn onto NW 23rd Avenue and turned too wide, traveling onto the path of the Toyota.
One witness said she could hear the Toyota's tires screeching as the driver tried to avoid crashing into the scooter.
When the vehicles collided, Eaton -- who was not wearing a helmet -- went airborne. She sustained severe head injuries and was rushed to Shands in critical condition where she later died.
McCollum was not injured.
According to residents, accidents at that intersection are frequent, and they've spoken to city officials about installing a traffic light there.
- Passenger of Small Plane in Palatka Crash Dies
- Woman Who Crashed into Bicyclist was Under Influence
- Two Struck By Train In Putnam County, One Dies
- Delete Teen Crashes Day
- Cattle Car Crash
- Deadly Crash in Dixie County
- Single Car Crash In Levy County Kills Child, Injures 5 Others
- Florida Highway Patrol Up For Reaccreditation
- The Florida Highway Patrol Increases Patrols For "Staying Alive On I-75" Initiative
- Troopers Ticketing Aggressive Driving