Men Busted for Performing Sexual Acts in Adult Store
PALATKA - There's trouble for an already controversial business in one North Central Florida city.
An adult store in Palatka is feeling the heat after an undercover detective busted four men for performing sexual acts in the store.
Many residents said the Adult Super Center has caused controversy since it opened a decade ago.
Some said they don't agree with having a store like this in the heart of their city and Thursday's news doesn't make them feel any better.
"Disgusting," said Sharde Chaires.
That's the one word Chaires used to describe what deputies said has been going on at the Adult Super Center: Men performing lewd acts upon themselves while watching movies.
"I think it should be something that should be done in your own home," Chaires said.
Putnam County Sheriff's spokesperson Hancel Woods said there were allegations about illegal activity at the store.
"Suddenly you would see at certain times of the day or certain days, a much large number of cars in the parking lot which is a clue," Woods said.
Tuesday afternoon an undercover detective stopped by the store.
The detective witnessed four customers performing sexual acts in the movie theater section of the store.
"There were four patrons charged with public lewdness; four adult males," said Woods.
Melissa Wyman of Palatka, who is a store clerk, was also charged for being the one on duty at the time.
TV 20 stopped by the store to speak with the manager.
Michael Carey did not want be on camera, but he said he doesn't allow his employees to go into the movie theater.
He goes back there to turn the TV on and off and doesn't know what activities take place there.
But residents like Chaires think Carey is responsible.
"I feel like he let those things go on because it's his store," said Chaires.
Carey said the four men are regulars.
They are 68-year -old Charles Beatty, 55-year-old Joe Vandiver, 66-year-old Paul Flint and 50-year-old Larry Joe Bridges.
They're all from outside the area.
- Dixie county man arrested for forcing two people to perform lewd acts
- Man Performs Sexual Act in Lobby of Burger King
- Registered Sex Offender Arrested for Lewd Behavior on Underage Girl
- School Board Member Arrested For Lewd Behavior
- Man arrested for lewd behavior
- GPD: Oaks Mall Employee Exposes Himself, Commits Lewd Acts
- Medical Spotlight: New Behavioral Health Center
- Final Act for Center Stage; Store Will Close Its Doors
- Ocala Teen Charged as an Adult for Attempted Second Degree Murder
- Adult Care Center Owner In Williston Charged With Abuse & Exploitation