Cross Guards Prepare for School Year
ALACHUA COUNTY - The morning rush hour is about to slow down dramatically August 20.
School starts for tens of thousands of college students.
It also starts for public school kids.
Which means this was one last day to train for 43 whistle-blowing, stop-sign-holding crossing guards.
They brushed up their skills as they role-played.
Some pretended to be beligerent motorists while others played the part of the distracted kids.
Between keeping an eye out for sexual predators or disobedient drivers who speed through school zones, the crossing guards say it's all about protecting the children.
There are approximately 30 school zones in Alachua County.
Expect to see the crossing guards between 7:30 through 9:30 in the morning and 1:30 through 3:30 each afternoon.
- School Crossing Guards Recognized For Their Service
- Crossing Guards, School Deputies Get Wrapped Up into a Budget Battle
- Levy County Schools Already Preparing for New School Year
- Two Crossing Guards Die in a Car Crash While Off Duty
- Two Crossing Guards Laid to Rest
- Crossing Guard Honored
- Gainesville Police Prepare for End of School Year
- 9 year Gainesville Boy Prepares for College Class at UF
- Marion County Schools Prepare for the Worst
- Buchholz High School Students Preparing Taxes, Some are Surprised