New Walmart Super Center Construction to Begin
MARION COUNTY - It's a project that's been four years in the making, but now it looks like the New Walmart Super Center slated for the Silver Springs Shores could happen later this year.
Some homeowners say they can't wait for it to finally be built after all these years.
Back in May, Walmart requested permits to start construction. Now that that part is done, they have moved on to the next phase of the process.
Realtor Albert Peek says conversations with contractors have taken place as well as bidding with electrical and underground utility people.
Once Walmart finds the right bidder, the next step is to break ground. The projected area of the latest grocery store chain has been taped off.
Homeowner Heather Thomas says there are a lack of resources in the Shores area, and that residents are stuck driving into Ocala or across town, sometimes even into Lady Lake for a lot of things.
Angela Bruno says she thinks it's better for the area because there aren't any big stores around, so she likes the idea.
Walmart is expected to boost the local economy, not only bringing in hundreds of jobs, but allowing room for other businesses and restaurants to set up shop as well.
Construction is expected to begin before the holiday season. Albert Peek says the bid processing should take about 60 days.
- Construction Begins On New Super Walmart
- Florida Cancer Specialists begins work on new facility
- Super Walmart Center Boon to East Gainesville Economy
- Main Street Construction Begins Tuesday
- FDOT Begins On-Ramp Construction in Alachua
- I-75 and US-90 Construction to Begin
- New Trauma Center Opens in Ocala
- Teens Get Rowdy in New Walmart
- Sandbag distribution begins in Marion County
- Construction Nearing Completion at New Shands Cancer Hospital