Food4Kids Backpack Program Ramps Up
They're taking home more than books... thanks to help from volunteers.
These backbacks are being filled for hundreds of kids who would otherwise go hungry over the weekend. The Food4Kids backpack program is in full swing after the start of the school year.
Volunteers from area businesses helped the organization pack food for kids at 14 schools in Alachua County.
InfoTech Employee Volunteer Pamela Barry "I thought, this is right up my ally. This is a way that i can pay back you know, all the great things that have happened to me all my life."
Food4Kids Backpack Program Coordinator Todd Morrone said, "We depend solely on volunteers at our school sites, within the schools and in our warehouse to volunteer to sort and pull inventory and pack backpacks."
It costs $6 dollars to feed each child 7 meals over the weekend. Last year Food4Kids gave backpacks to 375 kids in Alachua County. For more information and to get involved you can visit http://www.food4kidsbackpackprogram.com/
- New Gilchrist County Backpack Program Feeds Kids
- Gilchrist County Backpack Program
- Gainesville-Alachua County Hunger Summit Plan
- What About the Children? Homeless Children in Alachua County
- Alachua County Volunteers Track Down the Homeless
- Volunteers Help Save Alachua County Schools Money
- Teens Brings Backpacks to Kids
- "Strike Out Hunger" Food Drives Wraps Up
- No Hunger Game Part 1, The Bread Of The Mighty Food Bank
- Gilchrist County Receives Grant to Start Kids Back Pack Program