Mother Uses Public Punishment to Teach Son a Lesson
Published October 31st, 2012
GAINESVILLE - Some might call it 'tough love.' A teenager from Gainesville is owning up to stealing...in a very public way.
Felisha Hampton of Gainesville was understandably upset when she found out her 13-year-old son Jaivn was caught stealing a hat from the Walmart on Waldo Road. But that was all it took for the single-mother to make a sign, grab some lawn chairs, and return with her son to the scene of the crime. Standing at the entrance to the store, Jaivn was forced by his mother to hold up a sign that read: "I got caught stealing from Walmart yesterday!"
"I provide him with everything. I go to work every single day, there is no reason for him to steal whatsoever," said Felisha. "I'd rather for people to take his picture right now in front of Walmart instead of him having a mug shot," she said.
Despite the humiliation, some passers-by did take the time to share some words of wisdom with the teenager, including one man who handed Jaivn a Bible.
Felisha says she plans on bringing her son back out on Wednesday night, complete with a new sign, as she continues to teach her son a lesson.
- Rape Aggression Defense Classes at Santa Fe College Teach Important Lesson
- Citizen's Academy Teaches Residents Government Lessons
- Son Faces Neglect Charges After Mother Found Dead
- Mother Finds Son Dead in Yard
- Stand-Off Ends Peacefully After Mother Pleads With Son to Surrender
- Mothers Speak Out About Sons' Deaths; Plan Memorial Ride
- Mother and Sons Killed in House Fire; Neighbors Trying to Cope
- Mother and son graduate college on same day
- City of Archer mother needs help finding missing son
- Mother Charged with Fatal Stabbing of Son