Layoffs at North Central Florida YMCA as Bankruptcy Restructuring Continues
Published November 9th, 2012
GAINESVILLE - Another speed bump in the road to recovery for the North Central Florida YMCA, as four part- time staff members found out they were losing their jobs on Thursday. The layoffs are part of the North Central Florida YMCA's restructuring following their filing for bankruptcy last year.
A membership collections manager, gymnastics instructor, outreach coordinator and a group exercise coach were among those laid off. YMCA CEO John Bonacci said over the phone on Friday that these layoffs were only a small part of the Y's total workforce. He said those laid off were "non-performing" employees who only worked a couple of hours each week.
But one of those employees who lost her job on Thursday disputes that claim. Erica Hollingsworth was the former collections manager for the Y, and had worked there for over four years in many roles. She says she felt blindsided by the layoff, and says she spoke to Bonacci just a few days before she was let go. Hollingsworth says she depended on the Y for most of her income, and disputes Bonacci's claim that those who were laid off only worked a few hours each week; Hollingsworth says she worked at least 30 hours each week, and was never asked to reduce her schedule.
These layoffs come a few weeks after the Northwood facility of the YMCA was closed to members for a week. At the time, Bonacci said the closure was for renovations. But at the time, two employees of the Y who didn't want to be identified told TV20 that there was talk of employees foregoing pay for that week.
Bonacci says these recent layoffs will in no way affect any of the programs at the YMCA. He says they currently employ close to 110 people, so four layoffs are only a small part of their workforce.
- Questions Surround YMCA of North Central Florida's Weeklong Closure
- North Central Florida YMCA Deals with Debt
- North Central Florida YMCA in Financial Trouble
- State's Largest Fire Continues to Burn in North Central Florida
- Gun Control Debate Continues in North Central Florida
- YMCA Future
- How Is North Central Florida Impacted by National Propane Shortage?
- Another Case of Meningitis in North Central Florida
- FDLE Raids Three Internet Cafes Across North Central Florida
- North Central Florida Farmers Seeing Profits in Cotton