Child Calls Christmas Shopping Spree 'Happiest Day of My Life'
GAINESVILLE - Between barbies, bikes or board games, 23 children in Gainesville had some tough choices to make as they were let loose in a shopping spree with $100 to spend.
Accompanied by Gainesville police officers, the kids were free to pick up gifts for themselves and their families.
TV20 photographer Laureen Ricks followed fourth grader Aaliyah Richards who, despite having to make some difficult decisions, said this was the happiest day of her life.
This is the second year GPD has organized the program.
Staff say money to pay for it is raised through community fundraisers.
Organizers say they hope to include other police organizations for future programs.
- Police Officers Ring in the Holidays with a Shopping Spree for a Group of Students
- Shop With A Cop: 17 Kids Taken On Shopping Spree
- Gainesville Police Search For Suspects In Pawn Shop Robbery
- Valentine's Day Shopping Tips
- Still Christmas Shopping
- Kids Go Christmas Shopping with Ocala Firefighters
- More Expensive Christmas Shopping in the Future?
- New Robo Call Scam Targets Fox News Viewers
- A Gainesville Family's Christmas Wishes Come True
- Police Officer's 3-year-old Child Drowns