Man Shot by Gainesville Police Officer During High Speed Car Chase
Published December 14th, 2012
GAINESVILLE - The Gainesville Police Department is investigating the circumstances that led one of their officers to shoot a man who led them on a high speed car chase through town.
Police say around 1:30 Thursday afternoon, they received a call about a possible domestic disturbance in front of a home in the Duval neighborhood of east Gainesville. Upon arriving at the scene, police questioned a 24-year-old man, who neighbors later identified as Ronnie Williams.
Neighbors who saw the incident say Williams denied any involvement with the reported dispute, and then tried to leave the scene. In the process, police say Williams tried to run over one of the officers.
He then led police on a high speed chase down east University Avenue, to a neighborhood near Newnan's Lake, off southeast 73rd Terrace. It was at that point that one of the two officers in pursuit opened fire on William's car. "Sometime near the end of the pursuit, the suspect crashed into the woodline, and one of our officers fired shots at the suspect who was still seated in the vehicle," said Officer Ben Tobias, spokesperson for the Gainesville Police Department.
Williams was taken to Shands, where he was listed in critical condition as of Thursday afternoon. GPD has placed the officer who shot Williams on administrative duty, pulling him off the streets until an investigation is finished.
It is not known whether or not Williams was armed when he was shot. Police are expected to release those details on Friday.
- Gainesville Police Officer Chases Speeding Car
- Man Shot and Killed During Argument, Police Say
- High Speed Chase Ends With Car Crash
- Police: Gainesville Man Attempts To Flee Officers, Hits Police Car
- Fort White Man Leads Deputies On A High Speed Chase
- Man, 77, Leads Deputies On Multi-County High Speed Chase
- Man Arrested After High Speed Chase
- Man killed after high speed chase with deputies
- High Speed Chase in Gainesville
- Police Officer Shot During Traffic Stop