Marion County Homeless Children Receiving Assistance for the Holidays
MARION COUNTY--Santa's not too busy to come around for kids in Marion County.
Social workers say they have identified more than 2,000 children as homeless in the county.
So the Homeless Children Liaison and social workers with Marion County Public Schools are handing out Christmas presents to those children all week.
People donated stuffed stockings, toys and clothes.
This year BB&T Bank donated enough money to give 600 families Christmas dinner.
The families will get gift cards from either Walmart, Publix, or Winn-Dixie.
"We just want to make sure that regardless of what happened. A family had a fire, somebody lost their job, that these children express the same things every other child. That we want our children to experience and everybody else's. It is every special for us to be involved in this."- Suzanne McGuire, Marion County Public Schools
Suzanne McGuire says they accept donations all year long.
- Homeless Children's Program Hosting 15th Annual Campaign
- North Central Florida public high schools rank nationally
- Principal changes at 23 public schools in Marion County
- Homeless Assistance Program On Hold
- What About the Children? Homeless Children in Alachua County
- Bank Teller Accused of Helping Steal Money From Bank Customer
- Cities Will Receive Less Money From Gas Taxes
- Former Sheriff Chris Blair says he's an innocent man to the public
- Residents left homeless after fire engulfs apartment in Belleview
- Alachua County Kicks Off School Superintendent Search With Public Forum