GAINESVILLE - The Gainesville Alachua County Drug Task Force is going to several smoke shops in the city and county to make sure synthetic drugs are off the streets.
State leaders say back in 2010 over 11 thousand kids went to the emergency room for synthetic drug use overdose.
"We're just making sure we follow state law," Johnathan Watkins, Co-Owner of Modern Age Tobacco said.
Watkins and his brother Patrick Patton are handing over hundreds over synthetic drugs.
And because of the recent emergency rule issued by state leaders, the store owners want to make sure their compliant, since some of the synthetic drugs dont list the ingredients on the back.
Even though there are losing about 15- 20 thousand dollars Watkins says it won't affect business.
"90 percent of our sales is tobacco," Watkins said.
It is a third degree felony to purchase, make, or sell illegal synthetic drugs.
The Gainesville- Alachua County Drug Task force plans to destroy the drugs they took.
- Outlawing Synthetic Drugs
- Synthetic Marijuana Banned in Florida
- "Synthetic" Ice Rink in Ocala
- Store Owner Arrested For Selling Synthetic Marijuana
- Synthetic Marijuana Raid
- Drug Testing of Welfare Recipients Unconstitutional in FL
- The Dangers of a Drug Named "Molly "
- UF's Large Animal Hospital Puts Out Horse Owner Alert: "Bad EPM Drug"
- A Drug Known as"Molly" is Makes it's Way to Gainesville
- Prescription Drug Foundation Trying to Raise $500,000