Two Families in Different States Brought Together by Balloons
Published December 29th, 2012
***To watch the initial story, CLICK HERE.
KEYSTONE HEIGHTS - It's a heartfelt message that was originally sent to pay tribute to the victims of the Connecticut school shooting. The handwritten note was found tied to a group of balloons on Christmas Day.
Both the balloons and note were found in Susan Elmore's backyard in Keystone Heights. When TV20 first brought you the story earlier this week, Elmore had no clue who wrote the message, only that it had floated more than 700 miles across the Gulf of Mexico from Texas.
While there were two names left on the bottom of the note, with no last name, the search seemed almost impossible. But with a little help from our fellow ABC affiliate in Beaumont, Texas, the two note writers were tracked down.
Shawn Nguyen, 11, and his brother Calvin Nguyen, 9, live in Nederland, just a few minutes away from Beaumont. Their mother says the two boys sent the letter away thinking it would land somewhere in the ocean. But thanks to technology, the boys were able to speak to the unintended recipient of their letter on Friday.
Susan Elmore says she still plans on keeping both the balloons and the note in a special place in her house. She says the whole experience has been the highlight of her Christmas.
- Brought Together by Technology
- A Family That Exercises Together, Stays Healthy Together
- Two Walmarts...Two Different Decisions
- Cousins Graduate Together, Continue Family Tradition
- UF Students Threw 50,000 Balloons In Epic Water Balloon Fight
- Publix Truth Tour Brought Protestors to Publix
- Team Lundy Bands Together to Support Family of Injured Deputy
- Lake City Community Comes Together to Show Support for Cason Family
- Multiple communities coming together to help Ocala family after house fire
- Two Hospices on Different Continents Joined by a Common Goal