Mother Kills Her Own Baby Before Turning Gun on Herself
Published January 5th, 2013
OCALA - Deputies in Marion County are investigating what led an Ocala mother to fatally shoot her 6-month-old son, right before turning the gun on herself. Sheriff's deputies say they found the bodies only after relatives tipped them off about suicidal writings found on the mother's Facebook page.
Deputies first arrived at the home around 11 o'clock Friday morning, where they found Melanie Reyes, 20, and her 6-month old son, Jonah, in a back room of the house. Both had apparently been shot with a handgun that was found next to the scene. Reyes and her child were rushed to Ocala Regional Medical Center. Reyes was listed in critical condition as of Friday night, but her baby was pronounced dead late Friday afternoon.
Deputies say they originally went to the home after Reyes' family members apparently saw suicidal postings that were written on her Facebook page.
Neighbors who knew Reyes say she showed no signs of any depression. Although some did say had a rocky relationship with her ex-boyfriend. Court records show she was engaged in an ongoing paternity dispute. Just two weeks ago, Reyes was arrested on a charge of aggravated assault after neighbors say she tried to beat her current boyfriend with a baseball bat. Still, nobody can comprehend what pushed her to commit such a violent crime.
Deputies say she may not recover fully from this incident, but if she does, they do expect murder charges to be filed against her.
- Mother Kills Her 4 Children and Then Herself
- College Student Turns Part-Time Job Into Her Own Company.
- Senior Citizen Kills Wife Before Taking His Own Life
- Man Kills Mother Of His Daughter, While She's Pregnant With Her Next Child
- Convicted Felon Arrested for Hitting Wife with Gun, Threatening to Kill Her
- Mother Kills Herself and Four Children
- Mother Murdered And Her Baby Stolen
- Lake City Police Officer Arrested: She Turned Herself In
- Runaway Mom Turns Herself In To The Alachua County Jail
- Accused Red Cross Fraudster Turns Herself In