Newberry Schools on High Alert Monday
NEWBERRY--Three schools were placed on high alert Monday afternoon when a man suspected of carrying a gun was reported in the area.
Alachua County Sheriffs Deputies tell us that shortly after noon they received word that the man was involved in a fight about three blocks from Newberry High School.
Based on police reports, the high school along with Oakview Middle School were briefly locked down because 22-year-old Steven Ross happened to be in the area.
This is a mugshot of Ross from a previous arrest.
Deputies say there was no reason to believe Ross was headed toward a school, but the heightened security was a precaution.
Ross is still on the loose.
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers
- Two Women In Clay County Are Shot At In Their Car, One Dies
- Alachua Communications Center Uses New Technology
- Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell: Full Interview
- Columbia County Inmates Shot by Gunman
- Violent Criminal Organization In Columbia County Arrested
- Marion County Sheriff's Citizens Academy Back After 12 Years
- Marion County Sheriff's Office Granted More Money for Cars
- Runaway Mom Turns Herself In To The Alachua County Jail
- Alachua County Sheriff Defends Deputies