7th Annual 5 Points of Life Marathon
GAINESVILLE - In the spirit of giving back, more than a thousand runners braved the cold this morning and laced up their sneakers to bring awareness to simple choices you can make to help save lives.
It was the 7th annual 5 Points of Life Marathon, and participant Rodney Ford is living proof of how one donor can touch multiple lives - nearly 3 years ago he made one of the most important decisions of his life to donate his kidney - "It wasn't even a difficult decision, I'm just so thankful for the opportunity to do it."
It was not a hard choice for Ford, and for the organ recipient who was living for 9 months on dialysis with only six percent of her kidney functioning, it meant the world.
That recipient is his wife of 28 years, and Ford says - "I consider it an honor and a blessing and the fact that I can still have a good quality of life afterward, I would do it all over again but I only have one left."
Without any more kidneys to give, Ford donates his time, to a marathon with a message.
Apheresis, blood, bone marrow, cord blood, and organ and tissue make up the 5 points of the marathon and five ways we all can save lives.
Today's race marked the 7th annual 5 Points Marathon, and some of TV20's own even particpated.
To find out more about the cause, visit here.
- "5 Points of Life" Marathon & Relay
- Runners Participate In Five Points Of Life Marathon
- 7th annual 'Noche de Gala' prep underway
- 7th Annual Noche De Gala Has Guests "Amped"
- 7th Annual Care to Share Event
- Five Points of Life Relay
- Five Points of Life Race
- Gainesville Ranks 7th on a list of New Foreclosure Capitals
- Marion Co. Schools See a Decrease in 7th Graders Missing Immunizations
- Corey Brewer Hosts 7th Annual Back2Back Basketball Camp