Identify Theft Ring Busted in Ocala
Marion County, Fl:
An identity theft ring may have been uncovered by an alert drug store clerk.
Two men are in jail for using and trafficking counterfeit credit cards in Gainesville.
Yaremi you tell us detectives believe the men are involved in a larger ring.
Officers found 24 credit cards that had Edel Gomezs' name on each one.
Yesterday the 25 year old tried purchasing 400 dollars in gift cards at the Walgreens on northwest 13th street.
The card wasn't going through and the clerk noticed gomez was acting a bit nervous.
Once Gomez left the Walgreens, the clerk called G-P-D giving them a description of gomez and his car.
Soon after officers pulled over gomez and the passenger 31 year old Yuneski Perdomo.
While searching the car, officers found 24 credit cards, almost 4 thousand dollars worth of various gift cards and more than 30 cartons of cigarettes.
Detective Matt Goeckel says the numbers on the credit cards are all real-- but gomez's name doesn't belong on them.
Detective Matt Goeckel, Gainesville police department said, "make sure your only using it on legitimate websites online. if it's questionable it's probably not a good idea to use it online. if your credit card has to leave your site at least try to keep track of how long it's gone. if it's gone for longer than normal they might be trying to scheme the number or right the number down."
- Multi-State Retail Theft Crime Ring Bust in Marion County
- Identity Theft Ring Compromises UF&Shands Patient Records
- Two More Suspects Arrested in Indentity Theft Ring
- Identity Theft Ring in Alachua County Comes to a Halt
- Suspects Sentenced in Massive Identity Theft Ring
- Dixie County Burglary Ring Busted
- Detectives Bust 'Elaborate' Crime Ring
- Thieves From A Crime Ring Busted Again
- Part of Regional Fraud Ring Busted in Gainesville
- Burglary Ring Bust