County Holds First Veteran Referral Day
They were making civilians out of veterans. On Thursday, Alachua County leaders held the first Transition Information and Veteran Referral Day. The event provided services to veterans; including job opportunities, shelter, and treatment for those suffering from mental illnesses. FloridaWorks workforce development, The V.A. Medical Center, and VetSpace were some of the agencies on hand. County leaders say they're trying to help veterans who can't find jobs and need help reconstructing their lives.
"This is a way as a community to say we thank you for fighting for our freedom, but here we're going to make sure you have some opportunities in our community to get employment and get adjusted back to civilian life."Chuck Chestnut (County Commissioner) said.
Alachua County leaders say they will hold another Veteran Information Day next year. For more information on Veteran Services, you can visit the following links:
- "Back to Work" ends, but the job opportunities continue...
- Veterans Day Celebration For Alachua County
- Alachua County honors veteran in National Medal of Honor Day
- A Salute to Members of the Armed Forces in North Central Florida
- New Alachua County Charter School Ready for First Day of School
- North Central Florida Wage Theft Task Force Holds Workshop
- Marion County Holds First Ever "Football Media Day"
- Employers hold job fair in Marion County
- Vetspace First Golf Tournament
- Florida Cancer Specialists begins work on new facility