Crimes Against Seniors - Woman is Scammed for Her Prescription Pills
GAINESVILLE - We spoke to an 87 year old woman, who wanted her name concealed because she fears for her safety.
She was almost scammed by a a couple selling magazine subscriptions.
Chad Levar and Ariana Nordman knocked on the woman's door to sell her magazine subscriptions but had different intentions.
The woman says she let the couple inside her home, while Nordman stayed in the living room talking with the victim.
In the meantime Levar said he had to use the bathroom and rummaged through the woman's bedroom and kitchen to look for pills.
According to myfloridalegal.com, pharmaceutical drug abuse translates to more than seven deaths a day from prescription drug overdosea in Florida.
The woman who was scammed told us "it was extremely upsetting, I don't know if I will ever get over it, really. They apparently don't care at all, they could see I was disabled, from the start."
While the woman does take pain medication, Lavar couldn't find any when he rummaged through the cabinets.
The woman became suspicious and told the couple she did not want any magazines.
The woman called police and they arrested the couple.
Nordman was released and Levar faces charges of exploitation on an elderly person.
This is the kind of scam we spoke about in our interview about the Seniors vs. Crime Project through the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.
You can access the information here.
Or, you can contact them at (352) 367-4023 for more information.
- Deputies: Prescription Pill Addiction Is An Epidemic
- New Market of Prescription Pill Dealers?
- Prescription Pill Theft at CVS Pharmacy
- Finding A Balance With Prescription Pill Laws
- Unintended Consequence of Prescription Pill Laws
- Florida Prescription Pill Tracking Database
- Suspect Jumps Over Counter to Steal Prescription Pills
- Number of Deaths from Prescription Pills Down Across the State
- Oxycodone in Deaths Are Down, But Prescription Pills Still Outnumber Illicit Drugs
- Seniors vs. Crime Project - Have You Been Taken Advantage of?