At-Risk Kids Receive Scholarships Through Take Stock in Children Organization
GAINESVILLE - Take Stock in Children (TSIC), a state-wide program run locally by The Education Foundation, is a scholarship and mentoring program that targets
low-income, at-risk middle and high school students here in Alachua County.
Once selected for TSIC, the students sign a contract stating that they will maintain their grades, adhere to school attendance and behavior standards, and stay drug and crime free throughout middle and high school.
The students also receive a volunteer mentor with whom they are required to meet at their school on a weekly basis.
Upon high school graduation, if the student has fulfilled the points of the TSIC contract, they receive a 2-year Florida College Florida Prepaid scholarship.
Because Take Stock in Children is a proven program - TSIC students have a 92% graduation rate, which is 61% higher than their at-risk peer group - The Education
Foundation has set a goal to grow this program.
After accepting 20 students per year into the program since its inception in 1996, The Foundation was able to accept 72 students during the 2012-2013 school
The goal has now been set for the 2013-2014 school year to accept 100 students into Take Stock in Children.
We would like to accept 100 students per year for the next 6 years, in order to really affect graduation rates here in Alachua County.
Currently, each TSIC Florida PrePaid scholarship costs a total of $8,000. The Education Foundation is responsible for raising $4,000, and that money receives a
100% match from the State of Florida.
In order to accept 100 students per year, we will have to raise $400,000 per year.
The Community Initiative started by The Education Foundation to raise these funds is known as Get OnThe Bus.
To help donate to Get on The Bus, please visit here.
If your child is interested in getting involved with the program and applying to the scholarship, they can speak to their school's guidance counselor who has all the information for the program.
- New Program Helps At-Risk Students
- Organizations Receive Food From Bennigan's
- UF Journalism Organization Receives National Recognition
- Local Organization Teaches Young Children How To Swim
- A Majority Of Parents Install Car Seats Incorrectly, Putting Kids At Risk
- Local Children Learn Life Lessons Through Chinese Culture Classes
- Gainesville Children's Theatre, Singing Their Way Through The Community
- Impacting Kids Through Reading
- Marion County Homeless Children Receiving Assistance for the Holidays
- Gilchrist County Receives Grant to Start Kids Back Pack Program