Website Stirring Controversy Before City Elections
GAINESVILLE- The website lowermygrubill.com is stirring up trouble but some say it gives a voice to residents who say their power bill is too high.
The debate over the Gainesville Biomass Power Plant is more overtly political.
The website run by the Republican Party is attempting to galvanize opposition to Biomass and the incumbents in the city election.
"I pray every month that I'm not going to have a heart attack," Ginger Nappy owner of Napolitano said.
Nappy says her electric bill is constantly going up.
"We have an electric demand charge and electric surcharge a fuel adjustment and then of course the taxes, Nappy said.
Stafford Jones, the chairman on the Alachua County Republican Executive Committee said he created the website to give people a voice that have not been able to talk the city commission in person.
Jones said GRU has one of the highest rates in Florida, and according to FloridaPowerLight.com the average rate for residents across Florida was about 125 bucks.
Gainesville Regional is slightly over just about 6 bucks more.
"Its a really really big issue and when the biomass plant comes online rates will go up even more," Jones said.
GRU officials said rates could go up $10 more.
GRU lawyers sent out a cease and desist letter to Jones, saying his website infringes upon GRU's trademark.
"It is a parody, we didn't cut and paste their logo we created a parody of their logo it is fair use part of the political debate," Jones said.
City Commissioner Lauren Poe says Jones is creating a gloom and doom atmosphere before the city elections.
"His views are someone who's trying to win an election," Poe said.
Poe said Jones is neglecting to disclose all the information about the rates.
"I think he's being very selective about what information to choose to include or not include what I can tell you is that we have businesses moving to Gainesville every week,"
Jones said he plans to keep the site up.
GRU officials couldn't comment because of the legal action they plan to take.
To compare rates of other cities visit http://www.fpl.com/rates/pdf/lowbill.pdf
- Poe vs. Skop- City Commission Run-Off Election Tuesday
- Gainesville City Election 2012
- Stafford Jones Stepping Down After 10 Years of Service
- GRU and equality, topics in first candidate forum
- Equity, transportation, GRU top priorities for Poe
- Gainesville mayor and city commissioner sworn in
- Hatchet Creek Development Comes Before Gainesville City Commission
- GRU Customers Look for Answers and Relief at City Commission Meeting
- North Central Florida Reacts to Redskins Name Change
- Gainesville City Commission runoff election held on April 14