A Southeast Gainesville neighborhood is trying to get back to normal after a three hour police standoff. Gainesville Police surrounded the home last night after a man there said he had been shot. Police say a visitor got into an argument with the homeowner. They say the homeowners' son, 25-year-old Dominic Gillins, pulled out a gun and shot the victim from two feet away in the head. The bullet grazed the top of his head. Police say Gillins was arrested for Attempted Murder because it wasn't a "Stand Your Ground" situation.
"The victim was not posing any kind of threat that would require him to produce a handgun and defend himself by shooting. Yes, there was a disturbance at the house. Yes, the victim did come to the house to create the disturbance. We're talking about a verbal dispute that went way too far when a handgun came to play," Officer Ben Tobias (Gainesville Police Department) said.
Police surrounded the home but Gillins was already gone. He turned himself in on April 3rd. He is currently behind bars in the Alachua County Jail.
- Gainesville Fossil Trader is Arrested and Charged
- Report: Bieber had Pot, Xanax in System at Arrest
- Man Arrested For Sexual Battery of a Mentally Disabled Teen
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Chris Rainey Dropped from Steelers After Arrest
- Credit Card Thief Arrested
- Ocasio Arrested
- Two Felons Arrested Thanks to Facebook Picture
- Fla. Woman Arrested in Death of Fiance in Tennessee
- Before Arrest, Hernandez No Stranger to Violence