Levy County Cutting Back Wildfire Risks
LEVY COUNTY- Only you can prevent forest fires and across the state this week part of that effort started with a community wildfire protection plans.
Specialists with the Florida Forest Service were on hand at the Florida Sheriff’s Youth Ranch to show how cutting back on some vegetation can keep everyone ahead in wildfire prevention.
Camp director Patricia Nelson still remembers her reaction to the fire that threatened her workplace less than a month ago.
The ranch was spared from any damage, but Nelson says she still fears what may have happened.
Nelson says,“The what ifs, if the couldn’t contain it you know what would happen to my summer what would happen to the kids that depend on coming to my camp during the summer.”
Especially because it’s wildfire season, she was eager to find help to prevent any future fire risk.
That help came from a Community Wildfire protection plan
WIldfire mitigation specialist Ludie Bond says, “Part of the plan is to identify areas of concern, areas of high fire incidence herein levy county and then determine what our resources for initial attack and supression.”
Forest Services specialists are clearing out an area of upwards of 50 ft surrounding buildings in these wooded areas, creating a defensible space to help prevent any possible structure damage.
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Cracks Down on Career Criminals
- County Commission Votes in Favor of Budget Cuts to Community Agency Partnership Program
- Wild Animal Sanctuary Moving to Marion County
- New Website Offers Tips on Bed Bug Prevention and Control for Students
- Williston Non Profit Service Dog Organization Still Operational After Losing VA Contract
- Free Day of Health Screenings for Service Dogs
- UF Budget Cuts Spark Search for Alternative Solutions
- Gainesville Fire Rescue Responds to Two Fires at Same Location
- Hopkin's Prairie Fire Tears Through More than 19-Hundred Acres in Marion County
- Levy County Animal Services Takes 15 Dogs In For Animal Cruelty-- But Are Conditions Any Better There?