Man Walks into Traffic on I-75 and Dies
MARION COUNTY - Troopers from the Florida Highway patrol say a truck driver, 52 year old Manuel Mendieta, walked into oncoming traffic today on Interstate 75 and was hit by a tractor trailer and died.
His death also caused some minor accidents.
Troopers from FHP say Mendieta stopped his truck on the emergency shoulder of I-75 near the Marion County/Alachua County border.
The man got out of his vehicle and walked into the path of another 18-wheeler going southbound.
The incident caused three or four minor accidents, as drivers slowed down to see what happened.
Sgt. Tammy Wildy from FHP says they still don't know why the man walked out into traffic - "there's no indication that there was an animal or any reason that he was trying to run into the road to save something."
- Georgia Man, 26, Dies In I-75 Crash In Alachua County
- Lake City Man Dies in Traffic Crash
- Traffic Accidents Close I-75
- FDLE Releases I-75 Traffic Report
- Man Walks in on Burglar
- Gainesville Man Arrested on Drug Charges Following Traffic Stop
- Baby Dies of Head Injuries; Man Arrested
- Man Dies Trying to Help Family Celebrate Christmas
- Man Resentenced to Die for Killing Panhandle Teen
- Starke Man Dies After Losing Control Of His Motorcycle