Veterans Build Garden
Gainesville, FL- Some military veterans turned in their swords for plowshares today.
At the veteran’s shelter at the old Sunshine Inn in northwest Gainesville, veterans and Florida Organic Growers staff built raised garden beds.
The project was launched after veterans expressed a strong interest in beautifying the Sunshine Inn, a residence owned by the Alachua County Housing Authority.
Wood, soil, and gardening instructions were provided for veterans.
Sunshine Inn staff says the project is a way for veterans to earn volunteer hours but it also serves a deeper purpose.
Jeannin Thibodeau, social work intern, says "we think this is very important for the veterans in terms of their own healing and progress; just the grounding nature of doing gardening work, just getting these kinds of skills that will serve them better when they make the stepping stones to more independent living."
The Sunshine Inn veterans also hope to install a flag pole to display the American Flag, the State of Florida Flag, and a Flag to remember Prisoners of War.
- Build Your Butterfly Garden
- Brush Fire Near Apartment Buildings
- UF Students Build Mobile Sustainability Kiosk
- Interview: Leadercast, Building Leaders Worth Following
- New GPD Building Dedicated to Officers Who Made A Difference
- Fire Destroys Apartment Building
- Massive Tree Falls Into Apartment Building, Trapping Families Inside
- High Springs Building Restoration On Hold
- DOC Proposing To Build New Prison
- Jobs Cut Due to Lack of Residential Building