13 People Arrested in One Day on Drug Charges
GAINESVILLE - 13 arrests in one day in Gainesville, all for dealing drugs right in what police call "the open air."
The Gainesville Police Department arrested more than a dozen people in all parts of town.
Many of the places they taregeted came from citizen complaints.
The Special Operations Unit is one of the groups who made the drug sweep.
The unit primarily takes care of residential burglaries, but Sgt. Mike Schentrup with the unit says some residents don't even realize that where there are drugs, it increases the likelihood of burglary - "if you're dealing drugs you are selling them to people who are in a hard place in their life and they are probably breaking into stuff and stealing items so if you have those open air drug markets near you, you are a prime target for other crimes like theft or burglary."
The Special Operations Unit began at the Gainesville Police Department in January.
- Six People Arrested In Levy County Drug Bust
- More than 50 People Arrested for Drugs in Marion County
- Five Arrested on Drug Trafficking Charges
- Two men arrested on drug trafficking charges
- Putnam Corrections Officer Arrested on Drug Charges
- Bronson Man Arrested on Drug Charges
- U.S. Marshals Arrest Williston Man on Drug Charges
- Gainesville Man Arrested on Drug Charges Following Traffic Stop
- Teen Burn Victim, Arrested on Drug Charges
- Gainesville Smoke Shop Raided After Drug Makes 28 People Sick