Archer's Mother's Day Fest... Calm For Now
Published May 11th, 2013
ARCHER - Some residents feel uneasy about this year's Mother's Day Weekend Cultural Festival possibly due to risks of retaliation from the shooting that happened at another major event close to home in Williston.
I spent the afternoon at Maddox Park and everything seemed quiet and calm. However this doesn't mean extra safety measures aren't being taken.
The Archer Cultural Progressive Organization is in charge of putting the Mother's Day Festival together every year. Patricia Wiggins the president of the organization says they're coming together once more and doing something positive for the community while keeping it safe. "So for 32 years we haven't had any major problems with this event and so we are expecting the same thing this year. What happened over in williston, we think that was an isolated incident and we're not expecting that to happen here," Wiggins said.
The park's baseball field has been cleared in case an emergency helicopter landing pad is needed. The Alachua County Sheriffs Office won't release the number of deputies at the festival until after the event ends, saying it may compromise their security plan. Wiggins tells me she has seen the festival's security watch increase from previous years.
- Safety Concerns Surround Archer's "Mother's Day Fest"
- 30 Year Mother's Day Festival Cancelled in Archer
- Third annual 'Jest Fest!' in Gainesville this weekend
- Police: Woman Steals $700 Of Merchandise For Mother's Day Gifts
- Happy Mother's Day!
- A Mother's Hero
- Ocala Teens Slit Mother's Throat, Charged With Attempted Murder
- Mother's Fighting For Justice
- Labor Daze Fest... Not Just For The Working
- Archer Braid Trail's Phase 2 Now Open