Children's Mental Health Awareness Week
GAINESVILLE - Jason Cacciotti from Gainesville suffers from a mental health illness. He has been attending Sarkis Family Psychiatry and Clinical Trials almost all his life. "I tell him what I do at school, he works with me that way. I tell him what i do at home and he tries to work with me at home," Cacciotti said. Cacciotti isn't alone. He is one of the four million children and adolescents in the country suffering from a serious mental disorder. According to NAMI the National Alliance of Mental Illness.
"Stop The Stigma" was a local event put together by Sarkis and the help of other sponsors to bring attention to the problem. Cacciotti said, more people don't know about this. The inside of town doesn't know about this. They should be out here getting involved."
With 17 booths filled with information, this event was put together for families with or without insurance to get educated. Families also enjoyed zumba, anti bullying classes and fencing demonstrations.
Dr. Elias Sarkis the founder of the clinic says parents and families shouldn't be ashamed of when their children are under these circumstances. But rather they should embrace it. Dr. Sarkis said, "If you're open and come out, this is just the way things are and get the help that you need so you can function and be as happy as you can."
Dr. Sarkis also notes that if any families out there need help, it's better to seek guidance earlier in the process as opposed to waiting or not doing anything about it.
For more information on
“Sarkis Family Psychiatry” http://www.sarkisfamilypsychiatry.com/
“Sarkis Clinical Trials” http://www.sarkisclinicaltrials.com/
- Gainesville Children's Theatre, Singing Their Way Through The Community
- Stop Children's Cancer Raises Awareness for Pediatric Cancer
- Obama Calls for End to Mental Illness Stigma
- Your Health: Ringing In A Victory Against Children's Cancer
- Children's Week 2012
- Children's Miracle Network Family Boot Camp
- Children's Medicine Warning
- Children's Hospital in Gainesville Makes Cents
- Gainesville Duck Derby Raises Money For Children's Support Agencies
- Local Immigration Group Talks Immigration Reform With Congressman Ted Yoho