Gainesville Orchestra Plays Disney For Kids
GAINESVILLE - The Gainesville Orchestra played Disney tunes for elementary school kids. Something second grader, Taylor Blair tells me is the best field trip of the year. "I thought it was awesome!" Taylor Blair a second grader said. For many of these young students like Jared Kolb a third grader, this was their first live orchestra experience. "I don't know, I've never been to a concert," Kolb said.
Clips from the kids' favorite Disney films also played in the background. At the end of the concert they invited the audience to be part of the musical fun by walking on stage and through the orchestra. There was definitely full house of kids at the Phillips Center. An estimated 1600 children from all across alachua county attended the concert. This has been an annual event for 30 years and this year the gainesville orchestra even funded the transportation for the kids.
Evans Haile the music director for the orchestra says, they do these kinds of things because it's important to educate students about music and culture at a young age. "But I can guarantee you the memories of seeing this orchestra play live. Your hometown professional orchestra play live, that's a memory that is going to be with you forever."
The Gainesville Orchestra will have an encore performance tonight at 7:30 in the Phillips Center and that performance will be open to the public. For more information on tickets, click here or call the Phillips Center Box Office: 352-392-ARTS (2787). For more on the Gainesville Orchestra check out their website here.
- Deputies: Music Teacher Molests Young Children
- Gainesville Children's Theatre, Singing Their Way Through The Community
- Gainesville Police Trying To Keep Kids Out Of Trouble
- Kids Helping Kids
- Shands Study Shows Response To Fear
- Children's Mental Health Awareness Week
- Bikers Roll Through The Streets Of Ocala To Deliver Toys For Children
- Alachua Communications Center Uses New Technology
- Adult Care Center Owner In Williston Charged With Abuse & Exploitation
- How To Help Kids Cope After Elem. School Shooting