Honoring Fallen Soldiers and Veterans in Marion County
Today people are remembering those who died fighting for our country, but residents in Marion County are also honoring more than 20 local veterans.
Twenty- four veterans were recognized and honored on Monday.
Some fought in World War II, Korea, Vietnam, Panama, Iraq and other wars.
All putting their lives on the line.
Among the group of veterans was 90 -year- old Millicent Schipski.
"When they started taking women into service, my father said to me the marines will never have women and I said I will be a marine," said Schipski.
Corporal Schipski enlisted in the early 1940's and was part of one of the first women marines training group.
"Once you've been in the service you have all that camaraderie . Especially in the marines. "Once a marine always a marine." You feel so dedicated protecting one another," said Cpl. Schipski.
Organizers rolled out a red carpet to recognize all these veterans here at Highland Memorial Park.
Schipski and all the other veterans received a certificate of appreciation for risking their lives, so that Americans could be free.
"I did because I am from that kind of family. I wanted to do it and I feel I should do it as an American citizen," said Cpl. Schipski.
Many of these veterans do not consider themselves heroes, but most people would agree they are.
As for Cpl. Schipski, being part of the military was her calling and she wouldn't have it any other way.
"It means a lot to me because my father, my husband, myself, my son we are all dedicated to the United States of America," said Cpl. Schipski.
- Vietnam War Veterans Honor Fallen Soldiers
- Marion County Fallen Officer Memorial
- The Ocala Marion County Veterans Memorial Park
- Alachua County honors veteran in National Medal of Honor Day
- North Central Florida Honors Fallen Soldier
- Families and friends paint 34th Street Wall to honor fallen soldiers
- Gainesville honors fallen soldiers
- Marion County Residents Remember 9/11 Victims
- Mile-Long Memorial Honors Fallen Heros
- 2,000 Students Celebrate Veterans Day in Marion County