Man Accused of Taking Picture of a Minor in a Bathroom
A man from Marion County is accused of trying to take a picture of a young boy in a public bathroom.
A witness reported he saw the 63 year old man, walk into a restroom with his camera activated on his phone.
The witness, Peter Farley, told deputies he thought that was a bit suspicious so he lingered around the bathroom at the Walmart on Highway 200.
According to the incident report, Farley said the suspect, Maximo Deherrera, slid his camera phone down in between the stalls and took a picture of a 10- year- old boy who was using the restroom.
Farley saw the flash go off on Deherreras' phone and immediately confronted him about what he was doing.
Then Deherrera started deleting the pictures from his phone.
Farley alerted store staff of the incident and continued to follow the defendant towards the exit.
Marion County deputies caught Dehrrera in the garden section of the store.
"We interviewed the subject and he admitted that yes I took the picture, but it was an accident. He said something about how the boy reminded him of his son who had recently passed away and that he was taking pictures of him," said Capt. James Pogue who is the Public Information Officer with the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
Detectives reviewed surveillance video which showed Deherrera hanging around the toy section of the store when the victim came into view.
As the boy left the toy aisle, Deherrera followed him into the restroom where the act occurred.
Deherrera was arrested on Thursday and is charged with video voyeurism.
His bond is set at $20,000.
- Deputies: 16-year-old attempted robbery suspect could be charged as adult
- Ocala 13 Year Old Charged As Adult, Child Psychologists Weigh In
- MCSO deputies searching for man who drugged and raped a 15-year-old girl
- MCSO: 26-year-old man fatally shot in the driveway of a Silver Springs Shores home
- One year old Ocala child falls into septic tank and dies
- Phone video shows altercation as an Ocala man fires a rifle wildly near home
- Ten year old boy charged with aggravated manslaughter
- Ocala babysitter charged with murder of an 11-month-old baby
- Raceway Says 15 Year Old Race Car Driver Died
- Report: 15-Year-Old Race Car Driver Broke Neck, Suffered Severe Head Trauma