Marion County Fallen Officer Memorial
Family, friends and local officers spent Thursday morning honoring the 13 officers who have died in the line of duty since 1881.
One of those heroes is former Assistant Chief with the Ocala Police Department M.O. Tuck.
He was shot and killed back on May 28, 1955.
"My whole life it's always been an honor when I've introduced my self to someone and they say I knew your grandfather and he was a great man," said Bill Tuck Jr.
Bill said his grandfather died just months after he was born.
Even though he never got the chance to make memories with his grandfather, this memorial means a lot to him as well as the rest of the family.
"Like they said today, keep the spirit alive. They are gone, but never forgotten," said Bill.
Another Tuck is about to follow in his great grandfather's footsteps.
Connor Tuck is currently in the police academy.
"I obviously didn't get to know the man, unfortunately. My grandfather, my ants, my uncles that did know him, I am here for them and the rest of the officers," said Connor.
While Connor is not a police officer just yet, he said attending this ceremony makes him realize what it means to put on that uniform day after day.
"We are shoulder to shoulder and there is a possibility that we may not come home, but we are here to serve our community," said Connor.
During the memorial, the name of each fallen officer was called aloud. One by one.
To honor, to respect and to remember.
So far this year 41 officers across the country have died in the line of duty. Two are from Florida.
- Mourning the Loss of Officer Killed in the Line of Duty
- Officer Killed in Line of Duty
- Lake City Police Officer Shoots, Kills Armed Driver at DUI Checkpoint
- Marion County remembers fallen officers
- Local organizations plant trees in memory of fallen GPD officers
- Law Enforcement Memorial pays tribute to fallen officers
- Marion County Officers Support Breast Cancer
- 10 Year Anniversary Of Fallen Deputy Brian Litz
- Ten Year Memorial for Fallen Deputy
- University of Florida Police Department Honors Fallen Officer