County Commission Picks In House Candidate for County Manager Job
ALACHUA COUNTY - The Alachua County Commission voted 4-1 Commissioner Susan Baird in dissent on Tuesday to negotiate a contract with current Deputy County Manager Betty Baker.
Baird claimed the process was a waste of time and taxpayer money because the county was charged $16,500 by Bob Murray and Associates, a consulting firm out of Tallahassee to find county manager candidates, but that number could bump up to $24,000 in extra expenses.
Baird said that money could have been saved because the comission picked a candidate in house.
"I'm extremely disappointed in fact we have spent not just a lot of money on the consultant and getting the candidates back and forth but also a lot of our time," County Commissioner Susan Baird said.
On Tuesday the commission was going to talk about Charles Oliver's counteroffer.
Oliver is the county's third choice for the county manager job. The other two declined the offer and no one else decided to second Baird's motion which was to accept Oliver's offer.
"The way the whole thing was done was disappointing and that we didn't follow the path that we had set up to follow in the beginning," Baird said.
Charles Chestnut said the reason he didn't second the motion was because Oliver's counteroffer was more than what he anticipated.
"It was actually more than the 227,000 including salary and benefit we had suggested," Charles Chestnut County Commissioner said.
The commission decided to go in house and choose Deputy County Manager Betty Baker who Chestnut feels could do the job.
"I was humbled by the transaction that occurred today it was somewhat unexpected I look forward to serving the county and county commission,"
Baker, if the commission accepts her offer will serve until November 2014 when she is currently schedueled to retire.
The commission will decide on the contract negotiations during the July 9th meeting.
- Williston Picks Final City Manager Candidate
- Alachua County Commissioners Reach Out to Third Manager Candidate
- Alachua County Commission Makes Final Choice for County Manager
- Marion County Commission Candidates Speak Out
- City Manager Candidates Take Tour Of The City
- Gainesville City Manager Looking for Candidates to Fill Police Chief Position
- Commissioners in High Springs Interview Candidates for City Manager
- City Commission Candidate Forum
- Biomass Concerns Dominate Candidate Forum for Gainesville City Commission
- Gainesville Commission At-Large Candidates Focus on GRU at Final 4A Forum