Deputies Taze Man After Causing Multiple Car Crash, Threatening Other Drivers
Published June 1st, 2013
GAINESVILLE - We've all heard of road rage, but nothing like this.
Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies say a man ran from his car in a fit of rage late Friday after causing a string of accidents near Santa Fe College. But it was when that man started banging on the windows of a minivan packed with kids that deputies say they had no choice but to taze him.
Laura Coffey of Gainesville was sitting at the intersection of Northwest 39th Avenue and 83rd Street when she saw one car slam into the back of another. That accident caused at least three other cars to also slam into each other. A total of five cars were involved.
But it was what happened next that really caused Coffey to panic. "We were at a complete stop, and a man just appeared in the intersection, and was waving his arms and shouting," said Coffey.
She says at that point, the man made eye contact with her and ran over to her minivan, where he proceeded to bang on the side windows in an attempt to break the glass, all while three kids were in the backseat. "He was enraged, he was shouting gibberish. He was not in his right mind," said Coffey.
Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies say when they arrived at the scene, the man never responded to their requests to stop, resulting in his tazing.
"Deputies on-scene gave him commands to stop what he was doing," said Lt. Jayson Levy. "When he would not stop, and it looked like he turned to go towards other folks that were involved with the crash, he was then tazed and taken into custody."
The man was then taken to North Florida Regional Medical Center for an evaluation. Meantime, Coffey says she's just glad her children were not hurt.
Deputies say they have no idea what caused the man to act the way he did, and at last word weren't sure of his identity. They did, however, searched the wreckage of the man's car shortly after his arrest for any narcotics.
At this point, Lt. Levy says he is facing charges of assault, as well as fleeing or alluding arrest.
- Deputies: Three Stage Car Crash, Try To Claim Insurance Money
- Alachua County Man Arrested After Threatening Cab Driver With Butcher's Knife
- Deputy Recalls Crash, Looks to Future
- Man Charged With Crashing Into Deputy's Car, Fleeing
- Multiple Crashes Due To Weather Cause Traffic In Gainesville
- One Man Dead, Another in Serious Condition After Marion County Car Crash
- Man Dies After Car Hydroplanes, Crashes Into Trees
- Man Dies After Car Flips Several Times, Crashes Into Trees
- Weirsdale Man Dies, After Crashing Car Into Tree
- Deputies: Gainesville Man Stalks, Sends Threatening Messages To Two Women