Four Dogs Killed, 20 Others Injured, After Mobile Home Goes Up in Flames
Published June 28th, 2013
BELLEVIEW - Four dogs are dead, and 20 others recovering, after a fire broke out inside the Belleview mobile home where they were being kept.
Marion County Fire Rescue crews responded to the home around 1:30 p.m. Thursday after a neighbor called 911 to report heavy smoke coming from the windows.
Once inside, firefighters immediately started searching the home for signs of anyone trapped inside, when they discovered 24 dogs locked inside their cages.
Two dogs were pronounced dead on-scene while two others were later put down after their lungs were severely damaged from the smoke.
The owner of the dogs was not home at the time. Officials were not immediately releasing her name.
The 20 dogs who survived the fire are now being monitored by a veterinarian for any complications.
As of Thursday evening, officials were not able to say whether the dogs will be returned to the owner once they recover. That's because they were having trouble contacting her.
- One Bicyclist killed, One Bicyclist Injured in Two Separate Crashes in Marion County
- Ocala Mobile Home Goes Up In Flames
- Four Mobile Homes Destroyed by Fires in Citra
- Mobile Home Fire Kills Marion County Man
- Marion County Barn House Goes Up in Flames
- Drive-By Shooting in Belleview Leaves 1 Man Dead and 1 Injured
- Single Car Crash In Levy County Kills Child, Injures 5 Others
- 2 killed, 6 Injured in Interstate 75 Crash
- Woman Killed, 5 Year Old Seriously Injured in Car Accident
- Possible Arson? A Family Is Upset After Their Car Goes Up In Flames Overnight