Local Immigration Group Talks Immigration Reform With Congressman Ted Yoho
FAIRFIELD- A bill that's been long debated but successfully passed through the senate judiciary committee is now awaiting a vote on the senate floor. It's the immigration reform bill which has the potential to provide a gateway to citizenship for about 11.5 million undocumented immigrants and North Central Florida is talking it out.
Congressman Ted Yoho in Marion County discussing immigration reform with residents this afternoon, but not necessarily taking their side. Republican congressman Ted Yoho who represents the 3rd congressional district made it very clear today that he does not support the bill. However he says, he doesn't think it's an issue that should be ignored.
The Gainesville Interfaith Alliance for Immigrant Justice hosted an immigration summit this afternoon where more than 100 people gathered at the Fairfield Presbyterian Church. The summit's goal was not only to educate people on the topic of immigration but to ask Yoho to come on board.
Yoho explained to the crowd that he doesn't believe this bill is the solution to the problem and instead thinks it's creating more confusion. "If we're going to do this, let's do this right. Lets get a bill that's good for America... Protects the sovereignty of america. You know you can't have a secure nation if we don't have a secure force," Yoho said.
Yoho says he is not against immigration but does want people to come to the united states legally, as it is the law. Yoho adds, immigration is something congress has failed to make a priority for the past 30 years but with some effort can change. Tune in tonight (June 1) at 11pm as I will have a more detailed report on those who support and don't support the bill.
- Immigration Summit With Congressman Ted Yoho (Long Version)
- NCF Peanut Farmers Meet with Congressman Ted Yoho
- Newly-Elected Congressman Ted Yoho 'Meets the Press'
- Congressman Yoho on Healthcare Legislation
- Congressman Ted Yoho Wins Republican Primary Elections
- Congressman Yoho and Mica in town
- Gainesville church sets headstones for unmarked graves
- Rep. Ted Yoho Talks About Key Issues At A Town Hall Forum
- Congressman Yoho Calls Farm Bill Failure a "Disappointment"
- Children's Mental Health Awareness Week