Man Charged In Death of Ocala Woman
One year and a half of investigating a deadly crash in Ocala, detectives have charged a man with the death of a 38- year- old woman.
Meloni Bye was killed in a car crash at the beginning of 2012.
Her family members did not want to speak with me on camera, but Byes sister said she knew it was only a matter of time before someone would be charged with her sisters death.
On January 19, 2012 38- year- old Meloni Bye was killed in a crash just one mile from her home.
On that Thursday night, Bye was sitting in the passenger side of a 2006 Nissan Altima.
The driver of the Nissan was traveling on northeast 36th avenue, when it smashed into a Chevy.
"Two vehicles that had collided. One in which rotated and went off the roadway and ended up flipping and striking a pine tree where it came to rest," said Jared Sieg who is a Traffic Homicide Investigator with the Ocala Police Department.
The pine tree actually broke in half. Part of the tree came crashing down on the car causing the roof to cave in.
A witness saw Byes boyfriend, Jason Odier climb out of the passenger rear window as Bye remained motionless in the passenger seat.
Odier told detectives another man was driving the car at the time of the accident.
After a year and a half of investigating, detectives believe Odier made up the person and his story.
"In trying to get further information about this supposed Joel Smith driver, he was never able to provide us with anybody else who knew this person, or any phone numbers of addresses or even a detailed description of this person," said Sieg.
The investigation revealed Odier was indeed the person behind the wheel.
Detectives also discovered he was driving with no headlights and with alcohol in his system.
Odiers blood alcohol level was .138.
The legal limit is .08.
Odier is now charged with DUI manslaughter.
"This is the last chapter of her life and it needs to be told properly. We need to know exactly how this life was tragically taken," said Sieg.
Records show Odier has been arrested for battery, kidnapping, burglary, robbery and violation of probation.
Back in January 2002, ten years before Byes death, Odier was arrested with DUI.
The charge was then reduced to reckless driving.
- Dunnellon Man Charged With DUI Manslaughter
- Man arrested after police involved-crash
- Woman Receives DUI Charge After Hitting An Unmarked Police Car
- Hawthorne Woman Sentenced In DUI Manslaughter Case
- Man Charged With Bell Woman's Death Has A Criminal Past
- Woman Found Dead Inside Southwest Ocala Home in what Police are Calling a Homicide
- Paying the Price; DUI Manslaughter
- Man Arrested On Charges of DUI, Assaulting an Officer
- Man Charged With Murder After Another Man, Dog Found Stabbed to Death
- Zimmerman Trial Day 13: Jury Can Consider Manslaughter as Lesser Included Charge