Ocala Boys & Girls Club Trashed, Police Search for Vandal
Published July 16th, 2013
OCALA - Police are stepping up their patrols around the Boys and Girls Club of Marion County after someone broke in over the weekend and caused thousands of dollars worth of damage.
Police say sometime between 3 p.m. Saturday and Noon on Sunday, someone gained access to the locked facility by smashing in one of the windows.
The vandal used a pool ball from a billiards table to smash in several bathroom mirrors, a flat screen TV, as well as the glass backstops on two of the gymnasium basketball hoops.
In addition, the vandal tried to set fire to the kitchen by placing paper on top of the stove.
Boys and Girls Club officials say in all, up to $8,000 worth of damage was done.
"Walking through the club and seeing the damage, it was somebody who was just apparently taking some pleasure in the joy of destroying things. And that's pretty sad," said Michael Warren, Chair of the Boys and Girls Club Volunteer Board.
Ocala police say even though nothing was stolen from the club, they're still taking this act of vandalism very seriously.
If you would like to assist club officials in their rebuilding efforts, you're asked to visit their website by clicking here.
- Renovations coming to Gainesville Boys & Girls Club
- Chili cook off raises money for Boys & Girls Club
- Changes on the Way for Boys and Girls Club Field
- National Boys and Girls Club Week
- Boys and Girls Club Wins Award
- Woodland Park Boys and Girls Club Receives Awards
- Area Boys and Girls Club Wins National Award
- Gainesville Police Search for Missing Girl
- Search & Rescue in Ocala
- Ocala Police Search For Credit Card Thief