Rasmussen College's Annual Service Day In Ocala
OCALA - A college with campuses across the country is getting together to donate more than 4000 hours of time as students and staff team up to help those in need. And a non-profit in North Central Florida was chosen for the deed. Paige, it's the fifth annual community service day for Rasmussen college.
Staff and students from its six Florida campuses are teaming up with other organizations throughout the state and offering nearly 900 hours of service. Students tell me these type of activities make the communities they serve a better place to live, grow and learn.
With more than 50 students and staff donating their time to the Marion County Literacy Council, Ocala is one of the larger events that are part of the overall community service day. Pete Beasley the director for the Ocala campus says their college goes beyond academics to teach its students. "It's a part of our mission to get involved with our communities and to give back... The students benefit so much and the employees, they benefit... They get to see what's happening in our communities. They have the opportunity to really reach out and give back to those organizations who need the assistance," Beasley said.
The Marion County Literacy Council is a non-profit in Ocala that encourages literacy by teaching adults how to read and learn English among other things. All organizations are chosen based on campus connections and community outreach.
If you'd like to get involved, the Marion County Literacy Council is accepting donations until September 10th for a fundraising garage sale they are putting together. The garage sale will take place from 7am-3pm at the literacy council on September 20th and 21st. For more information on this non-profit, check out their website.
- Helping One Organization At A Time
- Marion County Rescue Groups Team Up with Rasmussen College for Mock Scenarios
- Annual Mother’s Day Concert
- Alachua County Fire... Saving Lives
- Marion County New Year's Health Resolution
- Florida National Guard's 100th Deployment Ceremony Since September 11
- Gainesville Children's Theatre, Singing Their Way Through The Community
- Teen Dies After 50-Foot Fall While Working For Tree Service
- Early Voting Ended, Today's The Day To Vote
- Huge Addition To Alachua County's Public Lands, Levy Prairie