Changes For Northwest 8th Avenue In Gainesville... From 4-Lane to 2-Lane
GAINESVILLE - If you live near 8th Avenue and you're trying to get home it may take you some extra time and that's because there's a temporary traffic change. The idea is to reduce northwest 8th avenue from four travel lanes to two travel lanes, between Northwest 23rd Street and Northwest 31st Drive, so that there's room to provide bike paths, a sidewalk area and as well as a median.
This trial period will run until November. The traffic flow will be evaluated. The information gathered will be reviewed by the city commission and they will decide whether the change will become permanent or not.
Bob Woods the spokesperson for the City of Gainesville said, "By the time a decision is reached by the city commission the public should have plenty of opportunity to comment on the proposal."
An avid biker in Gainesville, Elizabeth Bomberger says she hopes the change will happen permanently and while some residents are complaining about traffic during game days, she says, "Well there's more lane for the bikers to go to the game. Anything that promotes bike riding and is better for the environment, I think is a good thing."
Others not so much; the change would affect people like Steven Neel, who has been living on northwest 8th avenue for 30 years now. Neel said, "There's lots of other places they could put some money in the roads if they wanted to when that one seems to be fairly functional. And at 5 o'clock there's a lot of people coming that way on that road and they need four lanes... It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I don't understand... What's the effort?"
The study will come to an end prior to the Thanksgiving holiday. The change doesn't affect all of Northwest 8th Avenue. The roadway will remain a four-lane road Between Northwest 31st Drive and Northwest 34th Street. The markings being made now, will be of a temporary nature but clearly identifiable.
- Mixed Reaction On Gainesville's NW 8th Avenue Reconstruction Project,
- A Change at SW 8th Ave & SW 91st Street?
- Northwest 8th Ave Project Moved to Nightside Meeting
- Residents Reaction to Northwest 8th Ave Project
- Residents Weigh in on Changes to NW 8th Ave
- Road Options Reviewed for 8th Ave Gainesville
- Anti-Butt Program Hopes To Keep Gainesville Streets Clean
- Removal Of ASO Traffic Unit Leads To Less Traffic Tickets Being Issued
- City of Gainesville Votes In Favor Of GRU Audit
- $3.3 Million Deficit May Lead To Department Cutbacks For The City Of Gainesville