Detectives Investigate Murder-Suicide
Marion county detectives are trying to find out what caused an elderly man to shoot and kill his wife and then turn the gun on himself.
" Right now it looks like the husband was the act of one in all of this," said Capt. James Pogue who is the Public Information Officer with the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
On Wednesday both Elmo and Doris Hines were found dead in their home.
Capt. Pogue said last Friday Elmo checked his wife out of an assisted living facility.
Elmo then brought her to their home in the Stonecrest subdivision in Summerfield.
Stonecrest is a 55 and over community near the Villages.
"Monday night you had a neighbor that said I distinctly heard two gun shot blasts, but I had no idea where they came from or what was going on," said Capt. Pogue.
After becoming suspicious a group of neighbors decided to check up on the couple.
"Basically the four neighbors when over there and I think what they did was they looked inside the windows and they could see one of the bodies and knew something was wrong," said Capt. Pogue.
Detectives are following up with relatives and going through medical records in hopes of finding out why Elmo would kill his wife and himself.
Some Stonecrest resident said they believe some elderly people who struggle don't see the light at the end of the tunnel.
"When you're married to somebody 30 years or more you are so use to them and everything you don't want to live without them and so this is one way to solve it," said Ed Mattheis who lives in Stonecrest.
Detectives are still waiting on test results and will be looking through medical records.
More information should come in the next couple of days.
- Apparent Murder-Suicide Kills 2
- Waldo Man Threatens to Commit Murder-Suicide
- Two Bodies Found Inside Apartment from Apparent Murder-Suicide
- 8 Dead Including 6 Children in Gilchrist County Murder-Suicide
- Two dead in murder-suicide on Ocala's east side
- Attempted Murder-Suicide in Live Oak
- Two dead in murder-suicide
- Murder-Suicide at Tampa hospital
- Bizarre Murder/Suicide Premeditated?
- New Details in Washington State Double Murder/Suicide