Diver's Body Found
An Altamont Springs man is dead after a diving accident that went terribly wrong.
Today divers found the man's body at Silver Glen Springs at the Ocala National Forest.
23-year-old Jason Yeh was reported missing at around 3 O'clock Friday afternoon.
According to deputies, he and his girlfriend went diving… and when he did not make it to the surface, that's when the woman called 9-1-1.
A search that began on Friday afternoon by foot, boat, and even helicopter continued this morning with a dive team.
Authorities say that yYh went free diving only wearing fins, a mask, and a snorkel… but no oxygen tank.
Yeh's body was found in about 30 feet of water inside an underwater cavern.
Authorities believe Yeh was stuck in the cave… and trying to get out when he ran out of air.
Yeh's parents, who did not wish to speak on camera, were at the Springs calling out his name in their native Chinese language.
"They've lost their only son. This is a tragic day for their family, they're hurt real bad… they asked me to allow them to use their custom of calling out to him across the water, and of course we let them do that, and it's all about finding some closure for that family," said Lt. Bill Sowder, Forest District Commander for Marion County.
Yeh's body was found at around 10:20 this morning.
The Silver Glen Springs recreational area was closed so authorities could continue their work.
Lieutenant Sowder said the body will be taken to the medical examiner's office in Leesburg where they will conduct an autopsy.
- Body found in Silver Springs
- Smoke Covers Parts of Ocala National Forest
- Woman Found Dead Inside Southwest Ocala Home in what Police are Calling a Homicide
- Missing Ocala Man with Alzheimer's Disease Found
- Hopkin's Prairie Fire Tears Through More than 19-Hundred Acres in Marion County
- Local organization hopes to protect Silver Springs
- Diver's father wants cave closed after deaths
- Hopkins Prairie Fire
- Dead Body Found Near Ocala Church
- Body of Missing Diver Found in Atlantic Ocean