Dunnellon Seeks Solution to Debt
Published August 22nd, 2013
About four years ago, the City of Dunnellon created a communications system called Greenlight.
They installed close to 300 hundred miles of fiber optic cable in efforts to provide internet, cable and phone service, and provide the city with a sustainable source of income.
But Greenlight went dim: Dunnellon has borrowed close to eight million dollars from Regions Bank in order to keep it running.
The city currently has three bids, with the top bid being from a company called Wideband.
However, members of the Dunnellon community put their thinking caps on and pitched other ideas to the council.
Worse case scenario could possibly be that the city could go bankrupt like Detroit but right now, that isn't in the cards.
The city is hoping they can get out of this fix minus Greenlight and the anchor it creates.
Lauren Lettelier, TV20 News.
- Red Light Cameras Taken Out in Dunnellon
- How to Get Out of Debt
- North Florida Patients Informed of Possible Contamination
- New Bug Species in Florida
- Police Search for Armed Robbery Suspects
- Suspicious Letters Scare in Marion County
- Two Men Arrested for Raping and Drugging Women
- Ocala Waitress Saved by Customer
- West Port Senior Killed in Crash
- 911 Caller Thanked by Family