MCSO Investigating "Suspicious Death" Inside Ocklawaha Home
Published August 29th, 2013
OCKLAWAHA -- Marion County Sheriff's detectives are investigating the details surrounding what's described as a "suspicious death" inside a home just north of Ocklawaha, near the edge of the Ocala National Forest.
Deputies say it all began around 2:30 Wednesday afternoon, when they received a 911 call from one of the victim's neighbors. Detectives say that neighbor went over to the home to check on the well-being of the victim, only to find him dead inside.
Sheriff's deputies cordoned off the area as they began to search the home for evidence.
As of late Wednesday, detectives are not releasing the victim's name nor his cause of death until they are able to notify his family.
Neighbors describe the victim as a kind elderly man in his 70's who lived in the home with his handicapped son.
"He's a great guy, he would do anything for anybody. If anybody had a need, he was right there to help them," said longtime neighbor Carole MacDonald.
"I hate to see a good guy go like that, because it's a total shock," said neighbor Owen Servant. "I don't know who would do that to him."
A large red stain -- what appeared to be blood -- was seen on the front door, and tire tracks were marked in the victim's driveway.
Although the exact circumstances surrounding the man's death are still unclear, deputies say they are treating this as a homicide.
- Deputies Investigating Suspicious Death
- GPD Investigating Suspicious Death
- Investigation Continues In The Death Of A Marion County Man
- MCSO: Suspect charged with Ocklawaha murder
- Suspicious Letters Scare in Marion County
- Investigators ID Ocklawaha Homicide Victim, as Deputies Search for His Killer
- Suspicious Death
- Two Marion County Sheriff's Officials Come Under Fire After Internal Investigations
- Marion County Jail Investigation Findings
- Environmental Officials Investigate Fuel Tank Leak at Marion County Fire Station