Ocala Breeders Sales Goes Up 50 Percent
Not only is Marion County "Horse Country"… its horse "market" is enjoying another big year.
Ocala Breeders Sales is hosting its August Yearling sale this week.
"The best thing about it is you get to be around these animals," said horse seller and buyer, Bret Fernung.
"Journeyman Sales" owners Bret and Crystal Fernung have been buying, selling, and raising horses for the past 40 years.
… And they say every year is like the first.
"You get to participate in a sport and a business that is sometimes frustrating but always exciting, " said Bret.
They made Ocala their home and horses their business in 1976 and say they can't imagine doing anything else.
"It's something I've always done, " Bret said.
The Ocala Breeders Sales company had their August Yearling sale earlier this week… with more than six hundred horses being sold and bought, this years sales have increased by 50 percent.
A spokesperson for OBS says for quality horses a big price must be paid.
"If they get into a selected sale, they can sell on our March sale, those horses average well over a hundred thousand dollars. It's a very high risk, very high reward business," said publicist for OBS, Jay Friedman.
With about 150 horses on their farm, the Fernung's know a thing or two about horses.
Although they say raising these animals for a living is not always easy… it's always rewarding.
"If you're a person that doesn't like to get up and do the same thing everyday, it's the perfect lifestyle for you because every day is a new day," said Crystal.
The OBS final sale wrapped up this morning.
Final sales figures are expected to be available by tomorrow.
- Ocala June Breeders' Sale
- Record Sales for Ocala Breeders
- Marion Co. Horse Owners, Trainers Talk About Triple Crown Standards, OBS June Sale
- Start-Up Horse Competition In Ocala
- Marion County Barn House Goes Up in Flames
- Marion County parents upset after video goes viral
- Ocala Horse Breeders Race
- Reaction to 1% sales tax hike in Marion County
- One Horse has Died and One is Recovering After Being Injected with Gasoline in Marion County
- Horse Found Burned in a Marion County Farm