Starke Elementary Closed After Air Tests Show High Levels of Mold
Published August 23rd, 2013
STARKE - Just four days after students in Bradford County returned to school, students at Starke Elementary were told to go back home after mold was found in two of the school's classrooms.
Bradford County School Superintendent Chad Farnsworth says the problem was first brought to his attention about three weeks ago after a custodial worker first spotted the mold while preparing classrooms for the upcoming school year.
Farnsworth says he then hired an outside company to conduct air quality tests inside the affected classrooms.
The results, which just came back on Thursday, showed significantly elevated levels of bacteria within two of the school's classrooms.
As a result, district officials made the decision to shut down the school temporarily while crews work on cleaning up the affected areas. Students were also sent home with a letter informing their parents of the discovery.
"We're bringing in specialists and engineers," said Superintendent Farnsworth when asked about the clean-up process. "We're going to start with Starke Elementary and see if we can be proactive to take care of this problem because we want this to be a permanent fix."
As the clean-up begins, district officials will now try to find temporary classroom space for the school's nearly 500 students.
Classes are set to resume for Starke Elementary students at an alternate location on Tuesday, Sept. 3. Until then, parents are encouraged to monitor the district's Facebook page for an official location once it is announced.
- Mold Outbreak Closes Starke Elementary
- Starke Elementary Reopens After Mold Problem
- Starke Elementary Back Open After 6 Months
- High Radon Levels in Alachua County
- Starke Elementary School Relocated
- School Year Resumes With Changes For Starke Elementary School
- Second Study Performed at Starke Elementary
- After the Storm with Bradford County Residents
- High Springs Firefighters and Alachua County Appear Close to Agreement
- "Home for Christmas" After Toxic Mold is Cleaned Up